15 Apr 2007
This curry is good with Kappa/Tapioca, Rice, Rava Upma, Dosa etc.People from different places in Kerala cook this curry using various methods. Some uses chopped onions and adds ginger also. Mathi mulaku curry is the common dish in most of the houses in our place. They make it every day!
Sardines(Mathi) - 6 nos(cut and cleaned)
Onion(medium) - 1 no or
Shallots(Kunjulli) - A handful
Tomato(big) - 1 no
Curry leaves - A few
Salt - As reqd
Coconut oil - 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Chilly powder - 2 tsp
Green chilies - 2 nos or as reqd
Garlic pearls - 6 nos
Tamarind(Puli) - A lemon sized ball or Raw mango(big) - 1 no
How to prepare
1)Soak tamarind in hot water and take the paste of about one tea cup.
2) Add another 1 1/2 cups of water.
3) Put all the powders, finely chopped or ground onion, tomato, salt, crushed garlic into it.
4) Cook till little thick.
5) Add sardines and cook till done.
6) Add curry leaves and green chillies.
7) Pour coconut oil and remove from fire.